cutting from “The Lutheran” (Vol.22 nr.27) of 5th July 1916:
”Holden congregation, Eckmann, N.D will dedicate their church on Sunday 16th July, with pastor Hendrickson officiating. There........
hen the congregation
celebrated it's 50th anniversary in 1951 a memorial book was published, and this gave the reason for the choice of name: “It was called `Holden' at the request of Anna Marie Jensen, mother of Mrs. Ole Nygaard, after a church of the same name in Norway”.
Anna Maria was born on January 11th 1850, to Jens Sørensen Brenne and Anne Nielsdatter Hoxodde. Together with her mother and daughter she left Norway in 1891. She never married, and died in 1914.
Maxbass is a little village right up by the Canadian border. By 1996 there were only 118 inhabitants. Since the foundation of the congregation had vanished, it was closed in 1965. Some years later the church was pulled down and today the only reminder that there was once an active congregation is the churchyard.