is one of two parishes in the Nome area of Telemark and is
in the Lower Telemark deanery of the diocese of Agder-
The parish consists of two congregations, Holla and Helgen (previously also Romnes). Together with Lunde prestegjeld
the congregations are managed by the Nome Kirkelig Fellesråd
(a joint Parochial Church Council), led by Jakob Knudsen, church administrator of Nome.
The staff consists of parish priest, organist, two vergers / caretakers and a part time secretary.
Take a look at the priest's photoalbum here
After Cleeng Person left, people began to emigrate from Holla to America from the beginning of 1840.
In the years preceding 1900 about 1100 people emigrated from Holla - probably more.
Ole Anundsen from `Søgal-Lunde' in Valebø was the first person we know of who emigrated from Holla after the mass emigration started in 1825.
Congregations were established in the places where the Norwegians settled. Holla/Holden has given it's name to 11 congregations in America.
Within Holla parish there are three churches: Romnes church dating from the early 13th Century, Helgen church built in 1735, and Holla church from 1867.
In addition to the above there are ruins of an earlier Holla (previously called `Holden') church on high ground (`Høyden') next to Holla Farm. This church is roughly contemporary with Romnes church, being built around the year 1200.
See the drawings/sketches of Holla Church, made by architect Holtermann!
Any comments can be posted here!
Last uppdated 2003.05.19